(Lakewood, Colo. – April 21, 2014) Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) and the City of Golden are undertaking a major remodel of the Golden Library, which will be finished this year. The library will be updated to reflect a new vision for library service, introduced in Jefferson County in 2013. But first, JCPL wants to hear from the public.
Major tenets of JCPL’s new service vision include:
• Enhanced alignment of library materials, programs and services to address the interests and needs of the Golden community;
• Expert staff, trained to help patrons navigate the increasingly complex world of information and technology;
• Dynamic programming that creates engaging and impactful patron experiences;
• Enhanced access to evolving technologies and digital resources;
• Increased emphasis on community partnerships, outreach and outcomes; and
• Updates to the Golden Library to enhance the library experience.
The Golden Library will be the first JCPL location to fully reflect this new service model.
“We’re very excited to showcase our new service model at the Golden Library,” said Pam Nissler, executive director JCPL. “We envision a more open, welcoming environment, with lower shelving, better sightlines and updated furnishings; improved merchandising of library materials; enhanced tools and technology for patron use; and improved public spaces to support community interaction and collaboration.
“We are grateful to the City of Golden for its support of this opportunity, and we hope Golden residents will be excited to see our vision come to life,” Nissler added.
“Golden residents love their library,” said Mayor Marjorie Sloan. “With this remodel, we want to offer all the conveniences of a 21st century library while preserving the special, home-town feel of our community. To that end, we invite Golden residents to participate with us on this exciting project.”
Residents will be encouraged to provide input to the design process at key points along the way:
• Library executives will present an overview of the new service model at the May 8 City Council meeting which begins at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers, 911 10th St., Golden.
• There will be an open house at the Golden Library from 4 -7 p.m., Monday, May 19th, to solicit resident feedback on the proposed remodel.
• There will also be an opportunity for residents to review and comment on design recommendations in June.
JCPL has hired studiotrope, a Denver-based design collective, to assist with space planning and interior design for the remodel. The Library expects to complete the design phase in July, begin construction in August and complete the remodel by the end of the year. Total cost of the remodel is expected to be approximately $250,000, with the City of Golden contributing $85,000 and the Library contributing the rest.
About Jefferson County Public Library
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is the third largest public library in the state of Colorado. Our mission is to meet the changing needs of our communities by providing information and environments that promote personal growth and community transformation. A JCPL library card is the smartest card in your wallet, giving you access to an online library that operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week, a network of 10 libraries, a Bookmobile, a Traveling Children’s Library and offsite computer and Internet classes provided throughout the County, as well as books, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, audio and eBooks, and computer and Internet resources. For more information contact your local library or visit jeffcolibrary.org.