Weeklong celebration highlights lesser-known library service
(Lakewood, Colo. – Sept. 4, 2014) Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) announced today that it will participate in an upcoming campaign designed to get people thinking – and talking – about the library in a whole new way. Outside the Lines is a weeklong celebration, Sept. 14-20, 2014, demonstrating the creativity and innovation happening in libraries. Libraries across the country will be engaging with their communities in new and unexpected ways.
“We want people to know that we offer much more than books,” said Pam Nissler, executive director, JCPL. “Our services and resources are constantly evolving to meet the information needs of the 21st century, and we want to make sure people understand that.”
Jefferson County residents are invited to participate in the following events:
· Sunday, Sept. 14: Drop by the Children’s Room at the Standley Lake Library from noon to 4:00 p.m. to participate in a surprise project. Activities are geared to kindergarten through sixth graders. Younger children must be accompanied by an adult.
· Monday, Sept. 15: The JCPL Bookmobile will visit the Jefferson County Administration and Courts Facility at 100 Jefferson County Parkway in Golden from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to showcase Library services and sign people up for library cards.
· Tuesday, Sept. 16: Kids in grades 4-12 are invited to bring their mad building skills to a LEGO Club event from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. at the Belmar Library. We provide the LEGOs; you provide the creativity.
· Wednesday, Sept. 17: Our Kids and Families outreach team will visit moms and newborns to deliver board books and other resources to support early literacy.
· Thursday, Sept. 18: Visit the American Mountaineering Center in Golden at 7:00 p.m. for an evening with Amy Greene, author of Long Man. (Tickets required: jeffcolibrary.org/goldenreads/2014/tickets.)
· Friday, Sept. 19: Check out Book A Librarian, a new service for job seekers, small business owners and entrepreneurs. Request one-on-one business assistance from a research expert at jeffcolibrary.org.
· Saturday, Sept. 20: Check out our Women’s Self-Defense Course from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Arvada Library, brought to you by Action Family ATA Martial Arts studio.
“While these may seem like non-traditional events for a library, this is just a sampling of the kinds of programs happening every day at JCPL,” Nissler continued. “We hope Jefferson County residents will take advantage of this week to try new things and explore some of the many wonderful things the Library has to offer.”
About Jefferson County Public Library
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is the third largest public library in the state of Colorado. Our mission is to meet the changing needs of our communities by providing information and environments that promote personal growth and community transformation. A JCPL library card is the smartest card in your wallet, giving you access to an online library that operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week, a network of 10 libraries, a Bookmobile, a Traveling Children’s Library and offsite computer and Internet classes provided throughout the County, as well as books, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, audio and eBooks, and computer and Internet resources. For more information contact your local library or visit jeffcolibrary.org.
About Outside the Lines
Outside the Lines is an R-Squared initiative designed by Colorado library marketers and directors that gets libraries “walking the walk” – taking action to show our communities how important libraries are and how they’ve changed. This celebration takes many of the concepts discussed at R-Squared, The Risk & Reward Conference, such as creativity, customer curiosity, culture, community and creative spaces, and puts them into action where they count – in our local communities. Learn more at getoutsidethelines.org.