April 20 - All libraries closed for Easter
Database of the Month - U.S. History in Context
Jul. 17, 2013
This is the month we celebrate American independence from Britain. Here are a few fascinating facts from the database U.S. History in Context:
- Before the revolution there were 13 colonies and after there were 14 states with the inclusion of Vermont.
- "Taxation without representation is tyranny" is a phrase attributed to Boston lawyer James Otis.
- The "Boston Massacre" began with a snowball fight.
- Congress voted independence on July 2 and accepted the final draft on July 4, 1776. It was not fully signed until August.
- Technically, the amendments of the Constitution were passed illegally as Rhode Island did not send delegates to the general convention to "propose amendments" to the Articles of Confederation.
Happy Independence Day!